I don’t really like the word probing, makes me think of prostate exams, and alien abductions either way an uncomfortable thing to be probed.
But some people enjoy it like the Homunculus, who tagged me, and it started with Girlirl.
So you want to probe me well here ya go, hope no bones fall out of my closet.
1. What is your current main character’s name (or names, if you play multiple games)? Explain how you chose the name.
My toon name is Rivs. My real nickname is River, which I had for longer then I can remember. So 99% of my toons have Riv in it, like Rivs, Rivz, Riverian, Riverion, Rivzok, etc.etc. There are a few anomlies, like Heatscourge, and Heatrash, some toons I have in WoW. When I worked at this one company my nickname was Heatscourge. We use to have a ticketing program for our Help Desk called Heat. I broke it. So my boss came in and yelled, “You are the Scourge of Heat!” Well the nickname stuck, and thought it would be a cool name for a mage as well.
2. What was the name of your very first character in an MMO? Explain how you chose that name.
My very first MMO character was in Dark Ages of Camelot. An avalonian cleric called Riverian on Isuelt. I wanted my nickname, but I wanted to sound a little more ancient maybe, or camelotish.
3. Have you kept a specific name through various games, or do you tend to change your naming habits based on the individual game?
Nope my naming habits is very consitent.
4. Do you ever reserve names, planning to use them for characters that you might play later? If so, what are they and why do you hold on to them?
5. Of the three common archetypes in MMOs — tank, healer, DPS — which is your current main character?
Rivs is a tank.
6. What archetype was your very first character in an MMO? Why did you choose it?
Riverian was a cleric, back when smite clerics were ok. DAMN MARK JACOBS AND HIS SMITE CLERIC NERF!!!!.
Little back story I use to play Aliens versus Predators 2 like mad. I was in a clan called Hell’s Elite Legions. A Clan Mate said he was going to start a chapter for DAOC, would I be interested in joining. I said sure. He told me they needed healers so Riverian was born.
7. Are you usually attracted to one archetype over another, or do you play them equally? Why?
I guess I like Tanks the best now. I got burned out on healing playing one in DAOC. DPS Casters are a nice change of pace, but I’ll always return to the Tank.
I like being surrounded by mobs, or players just beating on me. It’s reminds of my bouncing days.
8. What is your favorite feature from an MMO you no longer play?
I really liked the crafting system of DAOC, I felt it was very useful.
9. Is there an MMO that you would play if it was free? Which and why?
I have to say not really, I don’t care about the price tag. If I enjoy it I’m going to play it. 20 bucks a month, or 0 dollars a month. It doesnt’ matter. Like LOTRO, I got tons of offers to come play that game on free trial, but it just doesnt appeal to me, the classes don’t jump out at me.
10. How do you measure the success of a character in an MMO (total kills, titles accumulated, wealth, rare items collected, level reached, etc.)?
I measure success on how well my guild is doing, am I doing my job. If I’m doing my job on the team, then to me I’m successful. If the boss goes down in PvE, or keep get taken. I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing. Then in my eyes I’m successful. No greater joy to me then downing a new boss, or doing something that I never done before. I really like Guild firsts, I like to say on the 50th Gruul run, that I was there on the 1st one.
I do have this thing, one day I would like to be rich in an MMO, though virtual life, and reality are one and the same here. I’m broke in both lives.
Ok that’s that, not to painful. I was going to tag someone but it seems being Johnny come lately, everyone else I know did this thing. So I remain tagless.